Sunday, November 8, 2009

If I Have A Daughter....

Thou shalt NOT read Cosmo, InStyle, or any other self-esteem killing magazines

-I saw a young girl today reading a Cosmo in line. I asked her mother how old she was. Her mother said she was 10 years old. She obviously saw the look of disdain on my face because she immediately ripped the magazine out of her daughter's hands and told her she shouldn't be reading it. I'll admit it, I buy Cosmo...now that I'm 21!

These young things read these magazines, and their self-esteem plummets, we all know this. I never EVER, even glanced at those mags when I younger, not even in high school. I stuck to my Novels, and my Archie and Garfield comics...and no I have a sense of humor and high image self esteem ( or as my mother says an "ego that will drive me insane").

If I have a daughter, she will not be allowed to go near these magazines because I don't want her image of herself to be destroyed at such a young age. The world is cruel, but being able to grow up in it, knowing that no matter what, you are beautiful is an amazing feat. Now I'm not saying that my daughter can become obese and I would let her think it ok! No way! That's another issue.

The point is that the world is becoming more stupid everyday, and the media is telling us, thin is forever in, a little meat on your bones and you are considered MORBIDLY OBESE and being curvy equals a size 6.
If a tiny fraction of our future can come away with confidence and a positive idea about why people are beautiful no matter what they look like, then I think, emotionally, we might just save the world...just a little bit.

Why do I read them?
Make up tips.
Clothing ideas.
And because I'm old enough to know that I don't need to be a size 0 with long hair, to be happy.
She can read them when she learns that lesson too.

2 comments: