Wednesday, April 15, 2009

We are born, we live, we go to college...we get hotter

When you leave highschool, you enter a completely different world in college.
There are new sights, sounds, new people, new experiences, and college also allows you to re-invent yourself.

I know I did, not just mentally, and emotionally, but physically too, and a little change in wardrobe doesn't hurt either.
I signed up for more aerobics classes on campus, I started to take better ccare of myself appearence -wise, actually taking the time to do my hair instead of leaving it up in handlebar pigtails. I shed my goth-punk-gangster-redneck boy clothing and opted to use my hobo attire as pjs. (there was a point in my highschool career when, for a whole week, I dressed like a hobo. torn gloves, old beanie, the works.)
Now I stick to a simple jeans and t-shirt ensemble, or decided to put on a cute blouse, or pretty earrings, cherry perfume, you know, girly things.

Today was the girliest I've looked in a while, and it just happened to be the day that an old highschool classmate would walk back into my cherry-scented bubble.

My uncle had brought a friend over to help him move an old dresser. His friend happened to be a tall, VERY VERY (I'm talking swoon-worthy) handsome young latin man, with a familiar scar on his right eyebrow. His clothes were a little dirty, the kinda of dirty that makes it seem like he rubbed up against something while working.
Nothing is a bigger turn-on than someone who looks like he's a hard worker, I'm sold and I'm a total sucker for latin men...don't laugh you perverts.

Anyway I put on my biggest smile and cutest laugh and say hello in the most candy coated way possible.

"Hey John I know your niece!!"

My face dropped and I stared at him.

Everything flashed back to my freshmen year in AVID and there he was. A short twig like creature with a big head,small body and a slight hunch. He was quiet, but whenever he did talk, it was a little highpitched. Flash forward to my sophmore year, same thing. Raphael

I snapped back and told him that I recognized him, trying not to smush my words and amazed laughter together.
I didn't want to say it but I had to.
"You were short skinny and squeaky!"
He laughed and so did I. The laughter took all the stress out of my day.

Raphael continued to help my uncle, but also kept staring at me. I didn't mind, I've missed male attention.
He finally spoke up again.
"You're pretty now"

NOW this is where most women get mad but not me. I know that I have my fugly-looking days, we all do, so i'm not irritated by the "now" or "you look good TODAY" statements. Accept a compliment, don't dissect it and make the person who said it want to throw you off a cliff.

I told him that he looked handsome now, and we talked about how wierd we looked in highschool, hobo stage and all.
We discussed our career choices(he wants to be a sheriff) and talked about the future, which was strange because throughout my time in highschool, I'd never said more than MAYBE two words to him. In fact there were some days when I forgot he was in the classroom.

So why notice him now?
looks?
his new confidence?
his sexy dirt?

I think it's just the feeling of nostalgia that attracted me. that amazement in seeing what was brought about by the future, when the past was only a few years ago. The changes are amazing. I'm attracted to the change. This once quiet, ply-wood like person, is sitting in front of me, excited about his polygraph test tomorrow. where did the years go?

Doesn't matter because everyone is here now.

1 comment:

  1. Intresting Blog visit mine
    www.mechrafael.blogspot.com
    hope you like it

    ReplyDelete