Friday, August 28, 2009

In Case You Missed It...

Here's a story that I added to my favourites a while ago, but I think the topic will is one that will continue to be discussed for years to come.

As you've noticed, parents of young girls seem to have trouble finding suitable clothing for their daughters. Rather than buying a $10 Dora the Whatever shirt, they spend money on glitter tube tops, denim miniskirts and pleather boots, size 2. You might as well offer your child up on an alter to a pedo.

British designer and owner of Twisted Twee, Suzi Warren created this shirt.

Of course parents were up in arms against this design but Warren had a legitimate reason for creating it

"The Nipple Tassel t-shirt was designed as a response to my own distaste at seeing mini versions of sexy clothes on young children," she wrote. "Five-year-olds wearing slashed mini skirts and boob tubes, little thumb-sucking Britneys."

"...by embellishing this style of garment with printed nipple tassels, the result is not that the baby becomes sexualized by the tassels, but that the tassels are made benign and silly by the baby. In fact the more inert, innocent and unaware the infant is, the more ludicrous the contrast becomes."

Personally I think the tassles shirt covers up a child better than alot of the Hannah Montana slash tops out there. Would I buy this for my child? Only if I knew that years later they wouldn't be embarassed by it. Not something I would take a chance on so no.
BUT! I completely understand what she was getting at so more power to her.

I would, however purchase other things from the site.
Twisted Twee is a clothing store that caters to infants and pre-schoolers and sells retro nappies and shirts with rabid dobermans on them. Nothing is more interesting to me than retro images and my favourite dog. Check out the site:
http://twistedtwee.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment