Sunday, March 28, 2010

Saturday Song-Hurtful

Erik Hassle-"Hurtful"

After catching up on my RuPaul's Drag Race, I decided to hang out with the Logo channel a little bit longer and get sucked into it's NewNowNext slot.

After dancing to Semi Precious Weapons self titled song and telling myself that I couldn't pay rent but I was fu**ing gorgeous, I quickly sobered up my mood when my ears met the sound of drums and bleep bloop meshed with the words of an angel.

The truth in the words was only matched by the gut wrenching effect the video had on me. Combined, the music, the lyrics, the visuals resulted in an overwhelming rush of emotion and later I went to bed, still glassy eyed.

His words, and apology for the wrong he's done.

The music, a slow, poppy beat with a drum in the background that beats in time with your heart before building up into a strong, revelation inducing rhythm, the kind of music you caress someone to.

The video. It seems to take place in an ethereal, calm, place, void of colours save white and grey. To me it represented the common ground at the end of a relationship. The barrage of bullets that meet their stone like composition released different colours from each of them as if they are finally becoming individuals once again. Those scenes in particular translated everything that I've ever felt when leaving someone I cared about. Stepping towards them, unphased by the imminent bullets of truth, ignoring the pain, flashing back to the better days.

It could be that I'm at a very emotional stage of my life, but I've never heard a song and seen a video that belonged together more than this.



No comments:

Post a Comment