Thursday, July 30, 2009

Be Nice To the People That Handle Your Food


Why do I bat an eyelash at the odd waiter or two?
Why do I pitch my voice a little higher so as to give an air of bubbliness?
Why do I constantly thank my server whenever they switch out my drink or come by and ask how I'm doing?

Because its so easy to try and make someones day a little bit nicer, especially if their job involes dealing with pain in the anus people.


People like my father and brother are very dismissive towards waiters and hosts in restaurants. Don't get me wrong, they are thankful for service, but don't really show it. They're very used to waiters in Europe where time is not wasted lingering around and fishing for compliments. They pride themselves on good service but quick at the same time. American waiters like to hang around, strike up a conversation, lean on your seat, or play wih the sauces. I find this behavior endearing, and appreciate it, especially since they could be doing something better with their time.

They however have taken advantage of any working opportunity, and have chosen to serve people that range from the kind to the insane.

I choose to show absolute respect unless they prove they deserve otherwise. And for those of you hoping to gain something, sometimes being kind earns gratitude, sometimes a little extra with my meal, and sometimes it earns me a safe plate of food, In other words, don't piss off the people that bring you your burger because before it comes to you, it's back there.

3 comments:

  1. lol. well me personally. i'm always nice and sincere to my waiters but thats pretty much just because thats the kinda person i am. if they're smiling at me i'm gonna smile back and say thanks everytime they refil my drinks.

    but it doesnt piss me off when others don't do the same. lol it's their problem if they end up going to the bathroom the next morning. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article! This is something I should have written, but I've been so caught up in talking to muscians and doing my podcast. It's actually more fun, especially when the muscians are eager to talk to me. It encourages me to do better. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. but you're doing awesome! don't worry whatever you eventually touch will turn to gold, you've got enough talent to go around lol

    ReplyDelete