Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Rantings Of A Fan


At least four other people in the world must be re-reading the sixth Harry Potter book before it's midnight premier. I proudly count myself amongst them. Having no time to accomplish this task in the past few weeks, I intend to finish it again with only a couple days left before I hand over my ticket. I'll say right now that it is luck to have family and friends understand how I feel about books I love...it's also a little odd, but luck nonetheless. I sit in bed brushing myself up on scenes that may or may not be in the movie. I have done wonderful in ignoring, sneak peeks, B-rolls, clips and picture stills. I want to go in absolutely virgin and ignorant of any extra features. How will they portray Diagon Alley in the midst of turmoil and paranoia? Will they pay much attention to Harry's switch of the Half-Blood Prince's potions book with a brand new one? I feel the same stress as when I first read the book, the insanity that had enveloped the wizarding world. While re-reading chapter six, my heartstrings felt a tug. It reminded me that I must get through the last book once again after this. Fred and George and the utter grief that will be suffered. Again another stressful day, as I finished The Deathly Hallows in 12 hours, reading non-stop, only pausing for bathroom breaks. Because of that book, I had my heart broken at least nine times that day.

My brother James: "You're reading Harry Potter, and you're wearing glasses...you're a nerd"
and to quote Nearly Headless Nick: "Once again, you show all the sensitivity of a blunt axe"

call me what you will, nerd, geek, no life, but I adore these books, and as much as I LOVE the Twilight series , J.K. Rowling will always have everyone's heart, because even though Twilight relates to the love-struck, fantasizing, submissive in us all, it lacks the substance that the Harry Potter series has. Lessons are learned, and not just about love. Courage, honor, how to let go of the past and pursue the present. Things Twilight could never teach us. Twilight allows us to be angry at characters, especially the men, toying with a woman's heart or making the girl choose between one love or another. Twilight just makes us think about all the relationship issues we've had and how we wish we had a sexy, sultry vampire who loved us for all eternity instead of dealing with mortal boys who experience penis whiplash whenever another woman walks by. As you can tell I've done my share of fantasizing when it comes to Twilight, guilty as charged, but Twilight never made me think "wow I would totally punch this person out for my friend!" Instead it always made me think "I wonder if Edward is good in bed?" Weigh those two on the scales of honor hmm?

The movies, though scenes have been cut out and plot has been changed slightly, the movies have done the books justice, and my excitement for Tuesday night has yet to be matched, even by a Jason Mraz concert on October 10th.

After I post this, I will resume my reading of Chapter 12 and will go up to chapter 20 before bed.
Goodnight all
Always a Slytherin at heart

No comments:

Post a Comment